Friday, May 29, 2015

Final Fantasy XIII-2, Chapter 5: It's Academia, Really

Noel and Serah step through the gate in front of them, to emerge in a place familiar, yet unfamiliar. They are on the Yaschas Massif, however, the light of Cocoon can be seen clearly in the sky, as opposed to the darkness they had seen before. Noel surmised that having resolved the paradox, they had created an alternate timeline, one in which the eclipse did not exist. Hope had been present in the other Yaschas Massif, would he be here?


Approaching the Academy headquarters at the excavation site, Serah heard Hope's voice as she approached. "I don't know why," he said, "but I just know someone is about to arrive here, someone important." 

Serah once again reunited with Hope. Although only Serah and Noel remembered the existence of the eclipse, the change in time left a faint impression in Hope, thus, he knew Serah would come.

Meeting Hope here in the alternate Yaschas Massif is a somewhat pivotal moment in the game. He has been studying an Oracle Drive. An Oracle Drive records visions, or prophecies, recorded by a people called the Farseers, who lived in these very ruins in the ancient past. The seeresses of these people, who were always named Yeul, could see the future. Yeul is also the name of the girl who appeared with Caius.

They activate the Oracle Drive, showing a vision, similar to Serah's, of Caius and Lightning fighting. With a wave of his arm, Caius manages to destroy the crystal pillar, and bring down Cocoon.

Activating the Oracle Drive. Source.
The group decides here that they will do what they can to save Cocoon. Hope and his assistant Alyssa will work in the past, while Noel and Serah will work in the future. Serah surmises that this very thing is what Lightning had given her her powers to do (time traveling and controlling monsters).

Here in the Yaschas Massif I had my first really trying battle. Until this point, the battles in 13-2 had been much improved over it's predecessor, however, against very strong foes it still shows warts. I've mentioned before that the strong Cieth were the worst monsters to fight in the last game, it's the same here. I heard about a Cieth wandering the Massif, and decided to give it a go. It was incredibly frustrating, after an hour of 15 minute battles I decided to give up. I ran when it appeared, and it caught me! Thus I couldn't skip out with the retry option, and... I won. The reward for my troubles? A fragment and 500CP. So... pride, essentially. It doesn't pay to fight prolonged battles in 13 and 13-2.

This B*...

The battle screen both helpfully tells me I wasted 6 minutes of my life (the duration versus target time), and that I did a very poor job (no stars and 0 points awarded). Thanks! That really makes me want to keep playing this game!
I don't have a problem with games having enemies that are very difficult, or impossible to beat when you first encounter them. My problem with 13 and 13-2 is it's hard to tell if you're overpowered, or you need a new strategy... You try a few things, and then an hour later, realize you probably aren't ready to fight said monster. Unlike previous Final Fantasy games, if you pull a David on a Goliath, you don't stand to get much in reward. Bummer. I wrote in my notes "lesson learned I hope." Guess what, I didn't, but we'll get to that later.

From a gate in the alternate Yaschas Massif, Noel and Serah emerge in a massive city, Academia, in the year 400AF. For the moment, they have succeeded! Humanity has created this metropolis, which has been built on the principles of Hope Estheim and the Academy. The city is powered by a man made Fal'Cie (The god-like bio-machines that previously governed and manipulated humanity). This seems like a terrible idea... and it is! The rainy night quickly turns into a nightmare, as the Proto Fal'Cie begins turning the people of Academia into Cieth to protect against the perceived "paradox" threat Noel and Serah represent with their appearance.

Noel, Serah, and their companion Blue the Buccaboo fight off a legion of Cieth. I'm quite proud of this pic, it was hard to get the Academy headquarters centered in the background!
As if hundreds of Cieth wasn't enough, Caius also makes an appearance! He believes their presence here is a paradox, and they must be stopped. He says also that they have "witnessed the true history." He had imprisoned them in a tower 200 years ago, but that is somewhere they have yet to go. He is somewhat in disbelief that the pair stands before him. 

It's worth mentioning that Academia 400AF has an abominable encounter rate. It wasn't AS bad since I knew it was coming (this is my second time playing the game). However, it was still bad. I remember thinking in my first play-though whether anyone had actually play tested this level. It's bad, trust me. Luckily the battles are relatively quick, but you'll be fighting them one after another, after another, after another.

This place would be pretty cool, if it weren't for all the damn Cieth.
This dude is waiting at the end of an alley to make a pancake out of you with his hammer fist. I didn't fight him, so I guess I learned my lesson, if only for a short time.
The pair battles Caius, but something seems fishy! Will Yeul make an appearance? Find out in the next chapter...

Play Time: 21.75 hours
Write Time: 1.25 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment