Monday, November 2, 2015

Gateway to the Savage Frontier: Rankings

Given the "U.S. Gold" stamp on this,  I believe it is the UK release. Source.
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
1991
I can just post this instead of typing it out myself! Linwood Taylor is also credited with music production. Source.
For the Final Fantasy games I got my summary information from Wikipedia. I don't trust what's up on Gateway's page though, and it doesn't site any references anyway. The reason I don't trust it is it seems to imply that Gateway was developed first, and then Neverwinter Nights followed due to it's success. Since they were both released in 1991 though, I have to conclude that they were developed together. Another source says they were set in the same area so that they could be cross-promoted in a sense. I was surprised that the Neverwinter in Gateway closely resembles Nights in layout, lending some credence to this.

The head designer is Don L. Daglow, who was developing games for AOL, and upon discovering that it was conceivable to create on online Gold Box game, secured the rights to do so. A while back while I was playing F:NWN an inn called "Daglow's Inn" caught my eye for a moment, it rung a bell as a developer. True enough, I had made the connection because of a post at CRPG Addict. He's been a name in the business for a long time. He is mentioned in the post as the creator of the tutorial to The Adventure Construction Set. He was at EA at the time.

Although the title screens of the Savage Frontier games advertise "Beyond Software", the games seem to be credited to Stormfront Studios most of the time, which is the same company after a name change.

I think, and this is purely conjecture, that Gateway was the first Gold Box game released in VGA. It overall looks and sounds pretty nice, I especially like the sound effects in battle; it really sounds like swords clanging and swooshing in the air. Graphically it seems to occupy an interesting limbo between EGA and VGA. Some of the pics are very nicely drawn in detailed VGA resolution, while others look like slight up-scales of EGA work. Most of the wall sets don't look much different than they did in the EGA games.

The way purple is used on the boat especially hearkens back to EGA for me.
The game spawned a sequel, Treasures of the Savage Frontier. There may have been further games in the series, except that the Gold Box series was a bit too "long in the tooth" as some reviewers like to say, at that point in time. I believe FRUA: Magic of the Savage Frontier is a fan made third game in the series, so I'm treating it as such. Although not technically so, I consider Neverwinter Nights to be associated with the Savage Frontier series, because they have the same designer and are set in the same part of the realms.

I have fond memories of playing this game in my childhood, from my experience, I consider the first games in each of the Gold Box series' to be the best. However, my experience playing it "legit" (without stat modifications or using the clue book) was much different than I remember; much tougher and I even got stuck on some puzzles. The downside of this is that by not using the clue books I was exposed to some, in my opinion, somewhat boring dungeon design. The game seemed to have a couple gimmicks and used them repeatedly. One-way doors were ubiquitous.

"Shame on you for skimping on combat design with this fantastic tactical engine at your fingertips!"
The game must be given credit for its story and use of NPCs, though. Gateway surpasses the previous Gold Box games in these areas big time. With this engine though, by focusing on story more so than gameplay, Gateway was held back from being a great game to a simply good one.

Let's get to the fun part.

Mechanics - I love the Gold Box engine, but it is kind of hard to compete against some of the modern Final Fantasys. However, I definitely prefer it over the lame-duck combat of FF13 and 13-2.

2. Final Fantasy 10-2
3. Lightning Returns: FF13
4. Gateway to the Savage Frontier
5. Final Fantasy 13-2
6. Final Fantasy 13

The trollmoors was not a misnomer.
Storyline - Especially as the Gold Box series goes, Gateway gets mad credit for the effort it puts in to story telling. It's not amazing, but the Final Fantasy games below it are just so wack in this area, that it does pretty well here.

1. Final Fantasy 10
2. Lightning Returns: FF13
3. Gateway to the Savage Frontier
4. Final Fantasy 10-2
5. Final Fantasy 13

Even great wizards can be a bit absent-minded.
Atmosphere - The designers didn't have any problem inserting real-world references into shop names, and occasionally breaking the fourth wall, so I don't think full immersion was high on their list. They are okay with the player being aware they are playing a game. It's not my favorite approach, but also not a total deal breaker for me. I'm ranking 10-2 lower because that game is just way beyond goofy.

2. Lightning Returns: FF13
3. Final Fantasy 13
4. Final Fantasy 13-2
5. Gateway to the Savage Frontier
6. Final Fantasy 10-2

I suppose you can get a scimitar shave as well?
End Game - The end game combats were very tough, and the maze mechanic didn't excite me too much. It's definitely a good ending for a game of its era, but only topples one of the FFs.

2. Final Fantasy 10-2
3. Final Fantasy 10
4. Final Fantasy 13-2
5. Gateway to the Savage Frontier
6. Final Fantasy 13

If the base has five sides is it still a pyramid?
Difficulty - Overall, it was a pretty tough game, in my opinion.

1. Final Fantasy 13
2. Final Fantasy 10-2
3. Gateway to the Savage Frontier
4. Final Fantasy 13-2
5. Lightning Returns: FF13


Balance - The Gold Box games, and older games in general, certainly aren't known for game balance. Hell, I'm not even sure the term had been coined back then. Gateway didn't blindside me too many times. I'm willing to say it did so less than a fair amount of the games I've played so far.


1. Final Fantasy 10
2. Lightning Returns: FF13
3. Gateway to the Savage Frontier
4. Final Fantasy 10-2
5. Final Fantasy 13-2

The rejoicing of the monsters was sorely missed.
Music - Given that Gateway only has a singular tune, the intro, it would have to be pretty amazing to get ranked above a game with an entire soundtrack. Before you cry fowl, the hallowed Gold Box tunes will end up being rated against each other as I play them!

2. Final Fantasy 13
3. Final Fantasy 10-2
4. Final Fantasy 10
5. Lightning Returns: FF13
6. Gateway to the Savage Frontier

Art - The game's art assets are respectable for the time, I also always enjoy the realistic style of the D&D paintings of the era. Final Fantasy 10-2's goofy style once again puts it at the bottom of the pile.

2. Final Fantasy 13
3. Final Fantasy 10
4. Final Fantasy 13-2
5. Gateway to the Savage Frontier
6. Final Fantasy 10-2

I always thought maybe this was supposed to be Ceptienne, but I don't think any of the Gold Box games had paintings commissioned for them specifically. Source.
Best Villain - I like Broadhand the merchant, because he is an evil worshiper of Bane, but instead of being a simple foe to be beaten, he helps the party along in their quest. It's hard to say whether he is a villain or ally, but I find the former more intriguing. I thought about putting him above Shuyin. Shuyin is interesting enough, but barely.

2. Yunalesca (FF10)
3. Barthandelus (FF13)
4. Gilgamesh (FF13-2)
5. Shuyin (FF10-2)
6. Broadhand (GttSF)

I put "Broadhand" into an image search. I thought the internet couldn't surprise me anymore. These men's half-thongs showed up. Bravo internet, you have proven me wrong! Expect to see one on a Final Fantasy villain soon.
Worst Villain - The game's main antagonist gets this one. He's not terrible, but he comes off a bit cartoony, and breaks the fourth wall before the final battle. I wonder if he was inspired by another horned villain from a certain 80's cartoon.

2. Alyssa Zaidelle (FF13-2)
3. Leblanc (FF10-2)
4. Vaalgamon (GttSF)
5. Jihl Nabaat (FF13)
6. Caius Ballad (LR:FF13)

A face only your mother could love.
Best Ally - I thought Krevish was great. He's very creative in that his stats are "off-class". He has the stats of a wizard or cleric and carries around a book, but is a fighter. His interjections throughout the game are pretty funny, and are helpful too. I had him penciled in as the best ally even before he revealed his secret identity at the end of the game, which just added to the mystique of the character. 

2. Auron (FF10)
3. Sazh Katzroy (FF13)
4. Rikku (FF10-2)
5. Krevish (GttSF)
6. The Angel of Valhalla (LR:FF13)

This is the only Krevish line I had left in my screenshots.
Worst Ally - Jagaerda, because she is really snooty, and doesn't add much to the story. She kind of shows up, says a few b*y things, then is gone. The good thing about playing one of these older games, in this case, is that she isn't around to annoy you long!

2. Dona (FF10)
3. Beclam (FF10-2)
4. Chocolina (FF13-2)
5. "Hope Estheim" (LR:FF13)
6. Jagaerda (GttSF)


Best Enemy - I remember the Zhentarim really captured my imagination when I was a young'un, and I still think the're pretty cool. The Zhentil fighters, with their black crusader inspired look, I always loved, and still do.

2. Yojimbo (FF10)
3. Dahaka (FF13)
4. Angra Mainyu (FF10-2)
5. Jihl Nabaat (FF13-2)
6. Zhentil Fighter (GttSF)


Worst Enemy - No doubt about it, shambling mounds. These seem impossible at times, if it weren't for the fact they are susceptible to stinking cloud I think they would be. The only other ways to really beat them are a wand of ice storm and wand of defoliation you find during the game. I do want to give the game credit for not having any level draining monsters!

1. Gilgamesh (FF13-2)
2. Cid Raines (FF13)
3. Shambling Mound (GttSF)
4. Meonekton (LR:FF13)
5. Guado (FF10)

This is amazing.
Best Mini-Game - I've decided puzzles fit in this category, even though they aren't optional. I thought the Kraken puzzle was neat and creative, and it didn't even rely on anything onscreen.

1. Blitzball (FF10)
2. Kraken Code (GttSF)
3. Cavern of the Stolen Fayth (FF10-2)
4. Hold 'Em (FF13-2)
5. Bakti (FF13)

Worst Mini-Game - In Ascore you can find a map of the final area that must be held up to a mirror to see properly. It looks so weird that even knowing this I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

1. Slot Machine (FF13-2)
2. Lightning Dodging (FF10)
3. Spherebreak (FF10-2)
4. Mirror Map (GttSF)
5. Hide-n-Seek (FF13)

Side Quests - The game has a lot of optional area to explore, and a few side quests per-se, but the only ones I've found that are acknowledged upon completion were on the isle of Tuern. So, Gateway is pretty average in this area.

2. Final Fantasy 10-2
3. Final Fantasy 13-2
4. Final Fantasy 10
5. Gateway to the Savage Frontier
6. Final Fantasy 13

Another sinful fourth-wall breaker!
Overall - When all is said and done Gateway is a pretty good game. To me it beats out the lesser of the Final Fantasy games I've played. The FF sequels were a little out there, and 13 is... well... 13.

1. Lightning Returns: FF13
2. Final Fantasy 10
3. Gateway to the Savage Frontier
4. Final Fantasy 10-2
5. Final Fantasy 13-2

Source.

1 comment:

  1. "If the base has five sides is it still a pyramid?"

    I guess that would make it a ziggurat, which is still considered a 'step pyramid'.

    ReplyDelete