Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Forgotten World - 6: Fighting Under the Influence

August was tucked behind a large ceder tree in the groves of Bastille. He was surrounded by the high-pitched yipping sounds of a swarm of kobolds. Feeling strangely over confident, he decided he needed a drink, reaching down to the flask of Bastille's famous ale at his belt. He wet his lips with the brew, then decided to go bottoms up, downing it all. "Ohsshat... that hitz me a lot faster... den I expacted," he slurred, stumbling out from his hiding place, to see an army of 100 kobolds! Unbeknownst to him at the time, only about 8 of them were real...

Now that I'm playing a single class ranger, I'm almost embarrassed how much easier the game is with a better class choice. It's by no means easy, but as far as I can remember my new character is handling things a lot better than my original one did.  I'm feeling the lack of instant stun spells like sleep and stinking cloud, but this is mitigated by my much improved melee abilities and greater hit points.

Last post I mentioned that I had encountered another player in the game and chatted with them for the first time. In a fortuitous happening, I played again the next night... and once again encountered another player! What are the chances?
Encountering another player on the 3D navigation map.
With my new character, I'm essentially looking for good places to "grind" to get back to the point where I can explore the areas I was in with my previous character. I've found the giant spiders to be one of the best opponents, as they are relatively easy (if they have poison in this game, it is very weak), and yield about 400xp. However, grinding can be a bit difficult because I'm not sure I have a hang on how the encounters re-spawn. I'm fairly sure the encounters are divided by day and night, just like they are in FRUA: Neverwinter Nights. Here's what I think happens in Forgotten World: You reset encounters by stepping on their square in the opposite part of the day. So, if you step on a night encounter square during the day, you will be able to fight that encounter again when night comes back around. I'm not 100% sure about this though, I haven't fully tested this theory.

Spider, he is our hero.
To follow up on my last post, remember I had equipped an ale? I was quite curious if I could use the ale for something. I quickly found I couldn't throw it, so I decided to "use" it, which alerted me I had drank one. Something quite peculiar happened then... the screen didn't refresh itself, and suddenly myself and my enemies where wandering around my inventory screen. This is most likely a bug, of course, but it was an inadvertently appropriate result for chugging ale!
August tips back one too many cold ones...
To summarize something else I've been holding onto, I think it's a nice touch how the game's skyline has a transitional period during sunrise and sunset instead of suddenly switching from day to night. Here are some screenshots to demonstrate.
A sunny day over the groves.
 
The last vestiges of sunlight over the groves.
The twinkling firmament over the groves.
I've laid down a lot of text in the last few days, so I'm going to call this post good here. Looking at my notes, I have just reached level 5, and hope I can now take down the minotaur in Southshire to get his magical battle axe. After I have a magical weapon, I'll move on to new areas.

Confident in his latest training, and having learned a valuable lesson about consuming alchohol during combat, August hoisted his long sword and shield, preparing to face the infamous minotaur of Southshire. To find out how he fares, come back again soon... to This Bard's Tales!

Play Time to Post: 7h 20m
Total Play Time: 34h 25m

No comments:

Post a Comment