Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Game Rankings - 2: Summaries, Categories, and Rankings Reference

Now that I've completed two games, I'd like to implement a system I've been mulling over for awhile. After each game's "Fin" post, I plan to do a summary and ranking, similar to what The CRPG Addict does. The main difference is I will only be ranking games against one another directly, not rating them (giving them a number). My categories are a little different as well, I want a system that is somewhat independent of the year of a game's release, or what version I'm playing. The idea is to rank the "feel" of the games, as opposed to their relative specs. Also, although I mainly envisioned playing RPGs for this blog, I want to leave the door open for other genres of games as well (I've been watching some great Mega Man Let's Plays while playing Forgotten World and Neverwinter Nights, and it's been giving me an itch!).

This post is to serve not only as a reference for you the reader, but to me as well. 

First off, the Summaries will contain whatever of these things I can find out on the ol' interwebs:

1.Promo-art
2.Notable Staff
3.Series information
4.Development (Timeline, engine, etc.)
5.Intent
6.Specs (I'm not really sure what all "specs" might entail. It might all fit under development... we'll see).

Ranking Categories: To rank (not rate) in categories that are somewhat independent of the year the game was released, and what version I'm playing. These categories are probably somewhat weighted toward the Final Fantasy series, since that is what I had in mind when I came up with it. However, the most important category, the overall ranking, will not be, so I'm okay with it.

Games that don't fit a category will get an N/A instead of a low ranking. The most obvious example is games without music in the music category. 

1. Mechanics - The nuts and bolts of gameplay. Ex. High: Pool of Radiance, altogether great combat and exploration 
Low: Nothing in particular sticks out on my list... but just imagine any crappy interface really.
Here's an Amiga Pool of Radiance screenshot, because you just don't see those as much.

2. Storyline - How good is the main storyline? Ex. High: FF10, fast moving interesting plot with lots of twists and turns. 
Low: Forgotten World, you're basically just set free in the world. An open world game like FW might get an N/A in this category.
I've heard Planescape: Torment also has a decent storyline. This may also be the understatement of the year.

3. Atmosphere - How much does the game draw you in and affect you? This includes background and lore. Ex. High: Skyrim, obvious... this game makes me feel like I'm really there. 
Low: Al-Qadim, it's been a long while since I've played it, but I don't remember it being particularly strong in this category.
I'm sure you've all seen Skyrim, so here's a pic from Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse, a game which I'm using as a bit of a scapegoat, as I really don't remember it that well.

4. End Game - The end game "sequence". It's important to me that a game ends on a high note. The archetype for this category is most Final Fantasy games. It will be a ranking of a combination of the final dungeon/stage, through the final villain, through the ending. Ex. High: FF8, I'm not ashamed to admit the final push of this game has all of what I want. 
Low: Dark Souls, the final boss and ending was adequate, but certainly nothing special.
How badass is this castle though, right?

5. Difficulty - Simple, straight up how hard is the game?

6. Balance - Difficulty is the raw how hard is the game, this category is about being challenging and rewarding, without being frustrating.

7. Music - How good is the music?

8. Art - A conglomerate of the overall art design and direction of the game. This includes accompanying artwork, not just the game itself.

Best/Worst Categories: Pick one of each category from each game. In other words, pick the best and worst of each game, then rank them against each other. Worst winners may be because they are stupid, ridiculous, a pain in the ass, annoying etc.

9. B/W Villain - A developed adversary with a name and motivation (not necessarily the main villain) Ex. Best: Kefka (FF6), Sephiroth (FF7), Adel (FF8), Gilgamesh (FF5) 
Worst: Exdeath (FF5), he has a lame name, somewhat unfathomable motivation and most of all... he's an f'ing tree.
Flee the tree!

10. B/W Protagonist/Ally - A developed protagonist or ally with a name and motivation (does not include player created characters). Ex. Best: Gilgamesh (FF8), his background is light, but its there, and he's awesome! Minsc (Baldur's Gate) 
Worst: !@$# Hope! (FF13), Kryle (FF5), I doubt its a coincidence both of these are know-it-all kids.
Dig this crazy Gil' GIF!

11. B/W Enemy - Whereas the Villain and Ally refer to characters, this category refers to the enemies thatare face during gameplay, especially combat. Ex. Best: Ultamecia's castle bosses (FF8), I hope my enthusiasm for this game isn't lessening yours... 
Worst: Cliff racers (Morrowind), I haven't experienced them myself, but by reputation alone they qualify. Anything that level drains (AD&D games). The most powerful C'ieth (FF13 and 13-2).
One of the many mini-bosses in FF8's final dungeon.

12. B/W Mini-Game - Mini-games are optional areas that use mechanics separate from the main game. Ex. Best: Blitzball (FF10) 
Worst: Sphere Break (FF10-2)

13. Side Quests - Side quests are optional areas that use the same mechanics of the main game, as opposed to mini-games that use new mechanics. I'll rate the side quests as I experience them. If I encounter something new that I feel should change a games rating, I'll come back and note that as such.

14. Overall - The most important category, simple, which game do you like best?
Baldur's Gate. Will it hold on to the top spot? To find out, come back again soon for... well, you get the idea!


1 comment:

  1. The best thing you can do for Morrowind is download a mod that makes normal Cliff Racers non-hostile. Diseased and Corpus-infected Cliff Racers will still attack you, but the rate of encounter will be very low in the beginning of the game.

    ReplyDelete